Zuma rock is a rock with a difference. It stands tall as the only rock in Nigeria amongst several others that have a place in the Nigerian currency.
This rock is obviously different from other rocks in Nigeria due to its story, size, and location. It will be impossible to miss this rock when you’re coming to Abuja through Zuba or Niger state.
There are some places you will stay in Abuja and you will have a clear view of the rock.
However, the rock is in Niger State, and not Abuja. Where Zuma rock is standing belongs to Niger state, along Abuja to Kaduna road off Mandala. That is why it is also known as the “Gateway to Abuja from Suleja“.
It is a large natural monolith, an igneous intrusion composed of gabbro and grandiosity, standing 725 meters (2,379 ft) above sea level.
Some facts about Zuma Rock
- The rock catches fire during the rainy season. Some believe the gods are responsible for the fire.
- It served as a hideout against external forces in the olden days. When enemies attack, the early settlers use the rock as a refuge.
- It protects against a disastrous outburst.
- Zuma Rock features Nigeria’s 100 Naira currency banknote.
- It has facial features (natural contours) on it. If you look very well, you will see a human face on it.
- Some claim that the gods within the rock do not allow development around the road. Hence there’s an abandoned hotel project around the rock.
- There is a hotel called Zuma Rock Hotel around the rock.
- The rock is also known as the Largest in west Africa and also larger in Abuja as compared to the famous Aso rock.
In case you would like to visit, connect with us. Most of our Abuja city tours feature Zuma rock as a destination.