The United Arab Emirates has responded to the Nigeria Government aviation authorities on their request to accept their travel requirements for passengers from Nigeria to the United Arab Emirates.
On Monday, March 22, 2021, Nigeria Federal Government writes to the United Arab Emirates to withdraw and accept to fly passengers to and fro with only a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test certificate within 72 hours and at worse a repeat test on arrival instead of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test certificate done within 72 hours before flight departure, a four hours antigens rapid test at the airport and another polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on arrival at the United Arab Emirates.
In response to the letter, the United Arab Emirates stated that they have removed the Rapid Antigen test at the airports in Nigeria and they have also set new rules and requirements for passengers from Nigeria.
The letter reads:
The Embassy has the honour to convey the response of the competent authorities in the UAE regarding the ongoing flight halt between the UAE and Nigeria as well as the travel requirements for travellers to the UAE.
The UAE Government has decided to remove the Rapid Antigen test at the airports in Nigeria while demanding the following requirements:
- The number of passengers on inbound flights to the UAE must not exceed 200 passengers for two weeks.
- Only direct flights between the UAE and Nigeria are allowed.
- Passengers need to present a valid negative PCR test conducted within 48 hours before boarding.
- Provide the embassy with an updated list of the approved PCR test centre by the government of the federal republic of Nigerian.
- The importance of ensuring the accuracy of the passengers’ information, contact details and place of stay during their stay in UAE.
The Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Abuja avails itself of this opportunity to renew to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Nigerian the assurance of its highest considerations.
If Nigeria Government accepts these new requirements, that means passengers that booked other airlines like Egypt Air, Rwanda Air, Ethiopia Airways etc. will not be allowed to enter the United Arab Emirates.
Air Peace and Emirates airline will be the only airlines that will be allowed to enter the UAE. This will definitely be a big loss for other airlines like Egypt Air, Rwanda Air, Ethiopia Airways etc.
We are waiting for the Nigeria Government response concerning this new requirements.